Monday, January 10, 2011

Tasty Resolutions

Almost two weeks into the new year, I'm going to make an assumption and say that most of us are still going strong with our new year's resolutions. Honestly I'm still kind of in the process of figuring out what mine are. Get a library card. That's definitely one. Post on my blog more. I'm doing so good, right?

Anyway, I know one that holds true for me along with most everyone - be healthy. It's important, it can be fun and exciting, and also a real pain in the ass. So to make this goal a little easier for you, and as a request from my sister Nikki, let's make some fiber packed, naturally sweetened, tasty baked goods.

First, let's talk breakfast. I'm going to say it's at least 20% easier for me to drag my tired butt out of bed if I know there's something good for breakfast downstairs. Which brings me to this recipe from my mama: whole grain, honey sweetened, and there's veggies (in the muffin!).


Carrot Spice Muffins 

1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour                                                              
1 tsp baking soda                                                                                  
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/8 tsp ginger
1/8 tsp allspice
1/3 cup honey
1 egg
1/2 cup yogurt
1/3 cup olive oil
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups grated carrots
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 400. Measure dry ingredients into a large bowl. Mix all other ingredients into the same bowl until moist. Scoop batter in muffin tins* and bake 15-20 minutes.

*I'm going to make a guess and say this yields 12 muffins, but my mom's recipe doesn't specify.


Now maybe you have a craving for cookies. I do, most of the time. But maybe you don't want to eat a stick of butter in cookie form. That's why these Peanut Butter Cookies from Heidi Swanson are pretty much where it's at. Naturally sweetened, whole grain, and you get those great omega 3 fatty acids from the extra virgin olive oil - they'll make your hair shiny and your body happy - that's all you need to know. Also, if you want to add some dark chocolate chips, I won't tell anyone.


So good luck with those resolutions, I'll work on getting to the library and making a batch of these cookies.

1 comment: