Thursday, December 22, 2011

Hamantaschen

 Here's my cookie of choice for the holidays this year. These are typically for the Jewish holiday of Purim, but I couldn't resist making these puppies for Christmas.

You can find the basic recipe here, but two out of three fillings I made myself.

Here's the lowdown...




Chocolate filling
1/2 can sweetened condensed milk
3 oz unsweetened chocolate
1/2 tsp. vanilla

Microwave until smooth and dreamy - cool before filling cookies.

Fig Filling
7 ounces dried figs
1 1/2 tbsp. sugar
1 1/2 tbsp. boiling water
1 1/2 tsp. honey
1 1/2 tsp. lemon juice



Chop up the figgies in a food processor, add the rest of the ingredients and process again until smooth. Refrigerate 8 hours or overnight. 




Notes: The Kitchn does a really great job at explaining the process, but from personal experience it's easiest if you roll out the dough in two batches, and when it comes to filling - shape the cookies into triangles before filling; less messy and they hold together better. Also, I used apricot jam for the others - Polaner makes a really great jam, in my opinion. 


Bake away, my lovelies!

No comments:

Post a Comment