Thursday, November 11, 2010

Cheesecake 101

Let's talk, shall we? Cheesecake is great, I don't think I really need to say that, but I did anyway. I think it's more important to say that cheesecake can be pretty boring if done badly. Let's make cheesecake awesome!

Tip #1
This might be the most crucial cheesecake tip, so pay attention! Always bake your cheesecake in a water bath. What's a water bath, you say? Put a kettle of water on to boil, wrap that springform pan with tin foil, and put it in a roasting pan. When the water starts to simmer, pour it in the roasting pan to come up half way on the sides of the spring form pan. I suggest doing this after you sit it in the oven to avoid spilling.

Tip#2
Don't over bake that sucker! Cheesecake is ready when the center still jiggles slightly. There shouldn't be any browning, and it shouldn't be totally set when you pull it out of the oven.

Tip #3
Like with most things, you need to make sure you have a good foundation. I personally like recipes with a good amount of sour cream in them. Without it, I think it's more like eating a straight brick of cream cheese.

Tip #4
Let's make it a little memorable, hmm? Add some lemon zest, some blueberries, or some fancy vanilla extract (or all three!). Keep it simple, keep it classy, don't overdo it.


Sour cream Cheesecake (slightly adapted from Philadelphia cream cheese recipe)

1-1/2 cups Graham Cracker Crumbs
3 Tbsp. sugar
1/3 cup butter or margarine, melted
3 pkg. (8 oz. each) Cream Cheese, softened
1 cup sour cream
1 cup sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
4 eggs

Heat oven to 325°F.

Mix graham crumbs, 3 Tbsp. sugar and butter; press onto bottom of 9-inch springform pan.

Beat cream cheese, 1 cup sugar and vanilla with mixer until well blended, mix in sour cream. Add eggs, 1 at a time, mixing on low speed after each just until blended. Pour over crust.

Bake 55 min. in a water bath until center is almost set. Loosen cake from rim of pan; cool before removing rim. Refrigerate 4 hours.

5 comments:

  1. Ellie,
    I totally want cheesecake now too but I also have a question. A little bit of a dilemma actually. I don't always love to bake (that's ok to admit to you right?) and am looking for some simple holiday cookies to make, you know something that will make people go 'ohh these are so gooood you must have worked so hard' but that are so easy that I'll actually feel a little guilty accepting the compliments. I'd also like to know what YOUR favorite Christmas cookies are to make and/or eat.
    Thanks,
    Nora

    ReplyDelete
  2. One holiday baking post, coming right up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the cheesecake tips! I'll keep you updated on the results when I make my garlic cheesecake this Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ellie, With this recipe under your tip 2, you say that the cheesecake shouldn't be completely set when you take it out of the oven. Does this mean to ignore the direction in the recipe that you provided where it says to turn off the oven and let it cool inside?

    Thanks for this blog and this post specifically by the way, I love being able to make things that I enjoy, and cheesecake is the list topper for me, but have been too afraid to try making it on my own.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Colin - Thanks for calling that out! I must have skimmed the directions and not noticed that part. I posted a recipe that should turn out better for you.

    ReplyDelete