Monday, November 22, 2010

praline questions

Sometimes friends ask me questions outside of this bloggity blog, so I decided to pull this one out of my email and share with all of you!

First off, meet Bronwyn. This lady bakes and cooks many delicious things. Like truffles. She is the master of the truffle. Quite the title, huh? Anyway, here was her baking dilemma:


"Ellie!
What's wrong with my praline? It was all pretty and golden and suddenly turned white! I think it crystalized. But why? Is it because I used a wooden spoon, or a non- stick pan???

Help!
Bronwyn"





Here's a picture of how praline is supposed to look, and how Bronwyn's crystalized praline looked. 








Her recipe was a basic boiled sugar syrup with added hazelnuts and salt once the syrup turned golden.

A few things could have happened to make the sugar syrup crystalize -


1. Excessive stirring, or really any at all. (which Bronwyn informed me she didn't do, but it's something to watch out for!) Sugar syrups should be left to cook on their own.

2. Sometimes crystals can form around the top edge of the boiling sugar, which eventually will lead to crystallization. To avoid this, take a pastry brush dipped in water and run it around the top of the pan to dissolve the crystals. It will steam, but don't be scared!

3. You can also add a bit of corn syrup or lemon juice - they won't affect the flavor, but they'll help your chances of avoiding crystals.




As far as wooden spoons/metal spoons/nonstick pans, those shouldn't really have an effect. Although I would suggest using a wooden spoon for sugar syrups just to avoid potentially burning your hands.




Good luck with the praline, Bronwyn! I hope this helped!

1 comment:

  1. It worked! Success! I have made praline :)!!!!! It took some corn syrup and diligent pastry-brushing to keep the crystals off the side, but it WORKED! Time to get started on truffles :)

    ReplyDelete